Faculty: Les Standiford
This workshop will focus on the overall conception and structure of book-length projects--novel, memoir, or general interest non-fiction, either completed or in progress. Discussion will center on the clarity and substance of the project and the efficacy of the opening 25 pp, given the stated intention.
In a single file, submit up to 25 pages of a book-length work in fiction, nonfiction or memoir, plus a 1-page synopsis (as p. 26). Synopsis should include the following: one brief paragraph summarizing the book and status of the project (i.e., unfinished first draft, completed first draft, completed draft which has undergone multiple revisions, etc.). If you are submitting a portion which appears later in the work (for example, pages 25-50), provide a detailed synopsis of the pages prior to your submission (e.g. pages 1-24).
Required format for writing samples:
- Page numbers must be consecutive throughout the manuscript.
- Font must be 12-pt Times New Roman or Arial.
- Margins must be 1 inch.
- All manuscripts must be double-spaced including 1-page synopsis. All manuscripts must contain a header or footer with page numbers and author’s name.
- No extra spacing between paragraphs except that which indicates transitions.
- If you submit more than 26 pages (25 pages of manuscript + 1-page synopsis), the coordinator will cut as necessary.
- Do not include title pages or dedications.
- Submit manuscript + synopsis as a single file (with synopsis as final page).