Faculty: Sterling Watson
We will cover as many matters of craft and art (character, theme, point-of-view, language, structure, and setting) as we can fit into the time allotted with especial attention to problems and possibilities that arise from our reading of the students' manuscripts. Using the manuscripts as prompts, I will suspend discussion occasionally for mini-lectures and demonstrations of key ideas. This class will help participants fashion a better synopsis and sample chapter to send out to agents.
Submit the opening 25 pages of a novel-in-progress plus a 1-page synopsis.
Required format for writing samples:
- Page numbers must be consecutive throughout the manuscript.
- Font must be 12-pt Times New Roman or Arial.
- Margins must be 1 inch.
- All manuscripts must be double-spaced including the one-page synopsis. All manuscripts must contain a header or footer with page numbers and author’s name.
- No extra spacing between paragraphs except that which indicates transitions.
- If you submit more than 26 pages (25 of manuscript + 1-p synopsis), the coordinator will cut as necessary.
- Do not include title pages or dedications.