Faculty: Ann Hood
In this workshop, we will read and discuss published essays every day to examine what makes a good piece of memoir writing. We will then critique pages from your own memoirs and essays with an eye toward revision.
Submit the opening 25 pages of a memoir-in-progress plus a 1-page synopsis (as p 26). Synopsis should include the following: one brief paragraph summarizing the memoir and status of the project (i.e., unfinished first draft, completed first draft, completed draft which has undergone multiple revisions, etc.). If you are submitting a portion which appears later in the work (for example, pages 25-50), provide a detailed synopsis of the pages prior to your submission (e.g. pages 1-24).
Required format for writing samples:
- Page numbers must be consecutive throughout.
- Font must be 12-pt Times New Roman or Arial.
- Margins must be 1 inch.
- All manuscripts must be double-spaced including the one-page synopsis and contain a header or footer with page numbers and author's name.
- No extra spacing between paragraphs except that which indicates transitions.
- If you submit more than 26 pages (25 of manuscript + 1-page synopsis), the coordinator will cut as necessary.
- Do not include title pages or dedications.